What are Terpenes?
- Terpenes are what give cannabis its aroma and flavor.
- Found in numerous substances in nature. For instance, a lemon gets ints scent from the terpene Limonene.
- Terpenes are highly volatime with some terpenes beginning to evaporate rapidly at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- An example of this would be if you leave a lemon outside on a hot summer day, it loses its scent quickly.
- Proper drying, curing, storage, and transportation help preserve the terpene profile.
Why are Terpenes Important?
- Emerging studies show the medicinal properties of cannabis may be enhanced by the terpene profile.
- This is called the “entourage effect”.
- Terpenes have been used for centuries in aromatherapy to treat a broad range of issues.
- Each cultivar of cannabis has a unique terpene profile. Typical ranges in flower are usually .5-2%.
- Testing terpenes is the biggest challenge in cannabis testing due to how quickly they evaporate.
- Most labs use either gas chromatography with a flame ionization detector or a mass spectrometer for analysis.
- Express Toxicology has used scientific equipment from almost every major scientific manufacturer in the world and found ThermoFisher to have the best technology for terpene analysis.
- ThermoFisher is the largest scientific equipment supplier in the world and conducts extensive research into cannabis testing where cannabis is federally legal.
- ThermoFisher has a trace gas chromatography instrument which utilizes both flame ionization and mass spectrometry along with a proprietary injection method for the best terpene analysis in the industry.
- Express Toxicology has outfitted our lab with two of these systems and is committed to only using ThermoFisher instrumentation for terpene analysis.